Premature Ejaculation (PE) or ‘Shighrapatan’ in Hindi, is a common sexual disorder in men. Roughly, 30 to 40% men across the world including India experience problem of PE at some time of life.
Approximately 30%-70% of American males experience premature ejaculation. The National Health and Social Life Survey (NHSLS) indicate a prevalence of 30%, which is fairly spread across all adult age groups.
What is the specific criteria of Premature Ejaculation?
In almost all sexual intercourse, the ejaculation occurs within 1-2 minutes after vaginal penetration or before the man wishes it to happen. If this problem continues for at least 6 months, then we may call that the person is suffering from Shighrapatan or Premature Ejaculation. P.E. causes mental stress and adversely affects an individual’s personality and self confidence.
Many patients complain that they ejaculate on minor physical stimulation leave aside penetrating the vagina. If the PE is so severe that it happens before penetration, then conception will not be possible, or in other words pregnancy to the female partner will not happen.
Types of Premature Ejaculation
Premature ejaculation can be Chronic (lifelong) or acquired (recent).
In chronic PE, the person is said to be experiencing early ejaculation since he became sexually active (ie, post puberty). It could occur during his first sexual activity or even with minimal stimulation of sex organs as well.
In acquired PE, an individual who could control ejaculation for an acceptable duration and had successful sexual relationships, suddenly could not do so for past few weeks/months.
Reasons of Chronic Premature Ejaculation
Some of the common reasons of Chronic PE, include:
- Earlier failed sexual experiences
- Atmosphere at Work or school
- Relationships with friends or brother /sisters
- General attitude toward sex by himself and or family
- Previous psychological problems
- Any bad feelings about sex
- Bad sexual experiences encountered during growing years of life
- Negative sexual attitude and response of the female partner
- Non sexual aspects of the current relationship (comfort level & trust factors)
- Unhealthy relationship / sexual engagement
Reasons of Acquired Premature Ejaculation
Some of the common reasons of Acquired PE, include:
- Inability to attain proper erection
- Extreme excitement
- Psychotropic drug use or alcohol consumption
- Relationship discords
- Undesired sexual response of partner
- Lack of stamina or physical fitness
- Performance anxiety. Men always want to show a good performance in the sexual act with the female partner and become over-conscious to hold back ejaculation and fails.
What causes Premature Ejaculation?
Many factors are responsible for causing premature ejaculation. However, we may divide the list of causes into two broad categories – biological and psychological:
Biological causes of premature ejaculation:
Differences in nervous stimulation and hormonal changes can trigger premature ejaculation. Biological factors as enlisted below can cause P.E.:
- Abnormal functioning of the ejaculatory system
- Thyroid problems
- Infection or inflammation of the urethra or prostate
- Nerve damage occurring due to trauma or surgery (a very rare cause)
- Abnormal levels of hormones and/or neurotransmitters (which are chemicals present in the brain) have been many times said to be responsible for PE like
- Testosterone is thought to play a role in the ejaculatory reflex.
- Higher free and total testosterone levels have been demonstrated in men with premature ejaculation than in men without premature ejaculation
Somehow these biochemical markers may contribute to premature ejaculation, organic and psychological associations (eg, anxiety) suggest that these biochemical markers play only a partial role.
It is a common belief that PE is all in mind. Its true also, to a certain extent. Psychological factors as enlisted below can cause P.E.:
- Development of a certain pattern that is hard to change and is a result of previous sexual experiences of an individual.
- Childhood habit of reaching climax quickly because of fear of being ‘caught-in-the-act’ by ‘someone’. Gradually, this pattern of getting quick sexual release becomes difficult to change.
- Situations where someone hurries climax/ejaculation in order to overcome feelings of guilt.
- Anxiety and relationship issues can also result into PE
- Bad experiences encountered by the person during development stages (e.g. incest, sexual assault, conflict with parents, etc.)
P.E. is not a disease, but surely a matter of concern. It should be addressed as soon as possible to a qualified Doctor. Never should one waste time and money on Quacks who have no scientific method of treating a person from Premature Ejaculation, or ‘Shighrapatan’.
Whom to see for treatment of Premature Ejaculation?
We at Dr Monga Medi Clinic have been successfully treating people suffering from Premature Ejaculation for over 7 decades. Our approach to treat patient is simple yet most effective. Our counselling sessions, easy to do exercises, diet plan, and Ayurvedic medicines have worked wonder on people who have shown excellent improvement in their control over ejaculation. If you wish to get rid of your PE problem, then look no further and contact us immediately for a satisfactory and long lasting solution.